Why I Resigned

Who would've thought it'd come to this?

Let's think way back, over 9 months ago, back to when I lived in Australia. Feels like ages ago, huh? My plan was to live a year in Japan, teaching English, and then decide what I wanted to do from there. I've never been good at planning in advance, but I've been fortunate that things have usually played out pretty well. For that I'm both grateful and a little creeped out. It's been an interesting ride.

Then the time came, earlier this week, when I sat down with my boss to discuss my possibilities post-March 2009. The era after my contract expires. It wasn't something I'd thought about much, to be honest. I just scribbled my name down on a new piece of paper and that was that. As of yesterday, I've signed on for another year.

And yes, I'm aware of the ambiguity in the title between resigned (left) and resigned (re-signed / signed again)... but having it this way is so much more fun!

My time here in Japan has possibly been the best time of my life. It's certainly been the most rewarding and educational. ("HA-HA" to my parents who paid for all those school fees!) So it'll probably come as no surprise to most people that I want to enjoy this amazing experience just a bit longer.

There are tough times, of course. My job is very demanding, my boss really puts the pressure on, and sometimes the hours are out of control. (It's true: they work you hard here!) Not to mention the occasions where the kids act up and just generally make the day difficult. But I have great relationships with a bunch of them, which is so damn special - especially considering that I don't understand 95% of what they're saying and they don't understand 95% of what I'm saying. My colleagues are just wonderful people to be around - both in and out of work - and I have great friends outside of work too.

Here is a pictureAnd there's something about Japan - something unprecedented, that took me totally by surprise: I've fallen in love with this place. The people, the scenery, and the culture! There's just so much going on at any point in the year, and it utterly captivates me. Just last weekend I was invited to a dondoyaki, where old ornaments are burned outside a shrine. It's largely an event for kids, though it's considered especially healthy if you cook mochi (rice cakes) on the fire. At the shrine I attended, in a group of not many more than 50 people, I was of course the only foreigner. And everyone made me so welcome, offering me sake, all sorts of traditional food, and conversation, despite my very humble Japanese.

This world is full of wondrous places, if you dare go out and find them. I've found one, and though I can't promise how long I'll be here, I'm going to make the most of my time here, learn what I can. And I'll just generally do my best to make this limited life of mine as happy and as meaningful and as special as it can possibly be.

Herein will follow my next year in Japan: The Adventure Beyond.

14 comments:

  1. You are a horror!!! Fancy writing it like that and making me think you had resigned!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan!! How are you?? Haven't spoken to ya in ages. lol. I got exctied thinking that you were coming home. lol. Well done. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Adventure beyond eh? I like it. Regardless of whether you resigned or re-signed, I don't think it would ever stop you from doing what you wanted.

    Let's make this year bigger then the last and show everyone what we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, 2009 is shining pretty bright already. Last year was huge... but let's make this year even bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Brendan, you'll have to remember the English language, even though you are in Japan - the word is RE-SIGNED - don't give us a heart attack. (We are approaching our ancient years). Best wishes for an equally enjoyable and fulfilling 2009, and keep up the blog posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have viewed the photos, and you are correct about "the photo". It looks like a postcard, and the trees and foreground look surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dad!

    Which photo are you referring to? It seems the reference has failed me.

    Oh, I've also fixed my blog so that you don't need to have an account to post comments. I didn't realise it was like that until recently. Hopefully this makes things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dad means photo PC230231...the one you reckon is the best one you have ever taken!

    ReplyDelete
  9. can I post without account? I dont think so Brendan! It didn't want to work. Please explain?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like this.

    You need to make sure "Name/URL" is selected under where it says "Choose an identity".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brendan, you are an akuma for writing it like that, seriously. Also, update slightly more often. I need stuff to read and awe over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brendan,
    Thanks for sharing your abode with Dale, Les & Taz. Much appreciated. Hope you had a great time!
    Derek & Lisa Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No worries! It was good to catch up with them all again.

    ReplyDelete