Winter, Old People and Monkeys

I swear, they're out to get me. I've already been hit once this winter, as I was riding my bike home in the pelting snow. The snow was in my eyes and I could barely see anything. But I did see the old geezer drive straight into me. My bike toppled to the ground with a clatter, but I was unhurt. It nearly happened again this week, as I was crossing the street - on my green light. The old people, in their zippy white station wagon, hit the accelerator as if to race me across the crossing. As if. They hit their brakes just in time to avoid a collision. It's almost like old Japanese people are trained to ram foreigners down. But I digress.

We had a beautiful sunny week last week, albeit a bit chilly, indicating the start of spring. This week's turned back to winter weather - which is fine by me, because it means there's more snow on the ski slopes. I've been getting out skiing more and more this year. Also ice-skating. The video below is Yukiko, Phil's girlfriend, spinning on the ice.


The video cuts out just as a bunch of our students, a group of girls 10-11 years old, came up to say hello. It's not an uncommon occurance, bumping into students on the weekend...

A couple of weeks ago, Kym and I went to the monkey park, Jigokudani, which translates to "Hell's Valley". Quite a scary name for a valley so breathtaking, with stunning, jagged cliffs towering high above you. But then you see and smell all the monkey poop everywhere - and there's even some on your shoe already - and you realise where the name came from. In fact, maybe even hell doesn't smell this bad.


Click here for photos.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes/cards/gifts! As always I'm behind with my emails but I'll try to get back to everyone by this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. You know, one of my main inspirations to live in Japan was to see one of those monkey's in the snow. I watched a documentary once about how they climbed into the natural hot springs. Their body temprature rose so high they needed to get out and upon re-entering the cold conditions snap froze where they stood.

    You know how many I saw? 1 damned Monkey, and it was while I was on a train! Stealing something from the back of some unsuspecting farmers house! >_> ずるい!

    Hope you had a good day! お誕生日だってよ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling me about that. :) But I haven't seen any frozen monkeys yet. :( Do you know if that was in Nagano, or maybe Hokkaido or summat?

    ReplyDelete