Random Shizuoka Trip

I got off the shinkansen and my exact thoughts were, "So this is Shizuoka. Where's a toilet."

Now, two things:
1) Who the hell starts a blog like that?
2) Who decides at 12:37 that morning that they're suddenly going to spend the whole weekend 402km away in Shizuoka?
The answer to both questions is "ME!"

It was the most amazing case of 'right place at the right time' for a trip ever. There was some kind of festival going on, with all these different stalls along a main street. But mostly I was only lured in by the drum project they had going on. It seemed straight-forward enough - a bunch of percussionists jamming out and drawing a big crowd - until the man with the chainsaw came. He started revving it up right next to me. Gees, I thought he was gonna chop my left arm off for a second there.



Yay Japan. It all kinda made sense later when I visited Shizuoka Sengen Shrine. It was 7-5-3 day! On November 15th, girls aged seven and three, and boys aged five and three dress up in kimono and visit a shrine or temple. I could see plenty of people dressed up and it gave an exciting, culturally-rich atmosphere in addition to the three beautiful shrines.

My luck didn't run out as I headed back into the city. A couple of performers had a magic show going on. They mucked up a lot. It was quite funny, because they kept blaming it on the wind. But I think they were only high school or uni students, so I cut them some slack. Besides which, I was entertained. As the only foreigner in their small audience, I dropped them a few coins at the end of the show. I think it made their day.

Found a hotel. Bought a ticket to see 'This Is It' later that night. Went walking around for dinner.

The Filipino guy came out of nowhere. Out of some book shop, I think. He was very fast to appear by my side and start a conversation.

"Great," I thought to myself, immediately knowing what he was after. But he was also the first person I'd spoken to all day (with a small exception to the lady at the hotel), so we walked and chatted for a bit. His English was pretty good. As it turned out, he'd just broken up with his boyfriend recently.

"Oh?" I asked. "When?"

"Recently. Hmm... Maybe it was last night. Yes, last night."

Convenient. And he didn't look upset at all, as he trotted along beside me. More hopeful, and he kept insisting his house was just up ahead. But I was patient, just talking to this random guy. And then finally the questions fell.

"Do you go for gay guys?"

"No. Sorry mate."

"How about a blow job?"

"Hmm. Nah, you know, I think I'll be good."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

We were stopped at a red traffic light. My hotel wasn't much further, but all of a sudden he wanted to turn around and head back into the city center. I was already highly amused by this point, and then he came out with the most awkward, amusing thing all night.

"So... I'm just gonna... go back and look for more guys."

"Oookay then. Good luck with that."

And he was gone, as quickly as he'd come.



Earlier today I witnessed one of the most stunning shrines in the country - the original Toushou-guu Shrine, and its surrounding buildings (as above). 'Spectacular' doesn't even cover it.



One thing I really enjoyed about Shizuoka is the way Mt Fuji is always right there, bearing down on you like the puny, insignificant being you are. Oh, Mt Fuji, except not so insignificant - don't forget I've already conquered you!

And no, there is no end to how many photos I will take of the same mountain. This weekend alone I probably hit about 20. In fact, you can look at some of them here, along with some of my other photos from this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. LOL...chuckle chuckle...... poor Brendan

    hey, in the photos I saw some cyclists with helmets on!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome random adventure. I miss them since I left Japan, maybe I need to be MORE impulsive now I'm back in Australia for three years...

    That gay guy hitting on you... That seems to happen to us two alot... But a fat diseased indonesian hooker propositioning one of us... That could only happen to you :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky hahaha xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, forgot to mention about those cyclists in the photo. They were school boys, probably in junior high. At that age it's not so uncommon to wear a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well i can understand how he made the mistake... ku ku ku~ hehe


    is it bad that the most shocking thing i found about ur lil adventure.. was that u went to see this is it! ugh... u used to be cool brenden!! :P


    I wish my random adventures turned out that sorta luck!!! dams u!!! Festivals = awesomeness!!

    ReplyDelete