Goodbye Laos...

I met up with my friends Julie, Hanas, and Silvio at the airport the next morning.  My guesthouse was only a 1-2km walk away, but a local was out the front on his motorbike and decided to give me a lift, just because he could.  So I climbed on and arrived at the airport just moments after they'd opened the doors.

 Stunning area

Smallest airport

It was easily the smallest domestic airport I've ever seen - which made sense, since it only serves two flights a week to Vientiane.  There was a small handful of staff who doubled as receptionists, baggage handlers and security.  When my friends arrived, we shared some chuckles over how small the plane would probably be.  We weren't disappointed.

Outside

Inside

What I found most amusing was that when I'd bought my plane ticket in Phongsali Town, the man at the desk had stressed that there were "only five seats left!"  It was funny because the plane only had 15 seats in total anyway - and a few of them were still empty.

We were each supplied earplugs, and I was warned that I should really put them in.  It was excellent advice - this tiny plane was about to get very noisy.  We shot up into the air with what barely felt like a run-up at all, and zoomed over the incredible sunlit landscape of Phongsali Province.

I love this photo because you can see the runway, Boun Neua town, the path Julie, Hanas and I had trekked on into the mountains (trailing towards the left), and the main road to Phongsali Town (on the right-hand side).

Simply amazing view

The flight took a bit over an hour and a half.  At about the halfway point we flew over Luang Prabang.  I looked at it from above, that small forest town I'd loved so much, and with poignant nostalgia spotted Wat Poan Pao, the gold-glittering temple on the hilltop that Emily and I had ridden our bikes to almost two weeks before.

It was a beautiful flight (much better than the bus, though not as good as the slow boat), as we flew low enough to see Laos's incredible landscapes: rolling mountains, curling rivers, clusters of towns and villages...

The small plane didn't quite get above all the clouds

Then it ended and we were back in Vientiane, Laos's capital.  I'd been forced to spend a day here before meeting Emily in Luang Prabang, so I returned to the same hostel.  Silvio, Julie and Hanas went their separate ways.

Over the next few days, I found cafes where I could write, temples I could explore, the Thai embassy (where I applied for my 30-day Thai Tourist Visa), and a few other sightseeing spots.  It was somewhat more low-key than my adventures in the north.

 Wat That Luang Neua

Pha That Luang

Wat Haw Phra Kaew

Wat Si Saket

Statues at Wat Si Saket

I felt sorry for this one, but at least he still has his robe...

As soon as my Thai visa was complete, I began the series of tuk tuks and buses that would get me over the border and into Thailand.  I did most of the journey with a couple of German girls who had been in Vientiane to get their Thai Work Visas - they were about to teach English in Thai schools.  It brought back my own excitement from when I started teaching English in Thailand.  They were a bit apprehensive about teaching rowdy Thai kids, but I told them just to love their students and make the most of it, because they will never again have an experience like it.

Even after all the fun I had had in Laos, it still felt so good to be back in Thailand.  Even though I was in the border town of Nong Khai, far from Ubon, there was still a certain feeling of homecoming.  Everywhere I looked I could see familiar sights, from the signs of familiar companies to street food setups.  I decided to feast myself on pad thai (right up there with the best I've ever had), kiwi and pineapple juice, and jack fruit (my favourite fruit).
Yummy Thai street food!

I sat there with my 90-baht dinner in utter contentment.  I'd been in Laos for two weeks, and I'd had the time of my life.  But I'd really missed this.  And I was absolutely intent on getting the most out of my remaining time in Thailand.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment