Wan Wai Kruu (Teacher Appreciation Day)

Teachers are well respected in Thailand (though with the way Thai students often behave, you wouldn't think it), and every year students have the opportunity to show their appreciation on Teacher Appreciation Day.  After the daily flag-raising ceremony, we moved to the canteen for the ceremony.  Teachers and school directors sat on stage, and two students from each class came to give beautifully-handcrafted offerings.  These offerings are mostly composed of flowers, made by the students and/or their parents.  They were really beautiful.

When it was time for the grade threes to give their offerings, we changed seats so some of the grade three teachers could sit at the front and receive them.  I was lucky enough to be herded into a seat by the other teachers.  I didn't fully know what to do (according to this photo I was supposed to wai) but it was really special being able to experience this tradition.  The students knelt right down, hands in a wai and foreheads touching their hands, in a position of humbleness and respect.  They then handed us their offerings, and as they left to make way for the next wave of students, we handed the offerings along to be placed on a table before the stage.  We didn't actually receive them to keep - it was more just for the ceremony of it.

Once the ceremony was done, we were free to take photos with students, and all the students were now free to give roses (often with candles and incense sticks attached) to their teachers as a gift.  This was an even more special custom, as their gifts were intended specifically for us.  I love my students and I was particularly overwhelmed and humbled with the number of offerings they gave me.  I even had some grade fours I taught last semester come to my classroom later in the day to give me some too.

It was a wonderful and loving custom, typical of the enormous generosity of Thais, and reminded me again of why I love this country.  And, of course, my students.  I'm terribly strict inside the classroom: I have high standards for behaviour and an infamous shouting voice, which I often get to exercise.  But I love that once the class ends and I step outside, the kids still rally around me, fighting for high-fives and hugs.  Thais are nothing if unable to move on - even the naughty students.  There are no grudges here.  Only love.


    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment