Weathering Winter

Japanese people love asking "which do you prefer" questions: Summer or winter? Mountains or the beach? Rice or bread? (Can't rice and bread just coexist in harmony?)

But I have found a way around the simple, black-and-white answer. "In Australia, I prefer summer and the beach; in Japan, I prefer winter and mountains." (I'm still working on the rice-bread one.) These answers always seem acceptable. Perhaps Japanese people are too polite to push the question to, "Stop screwing with me and tell me, which one do you really prefer?"

All I know is that right now, after Japan's hottest summer on record, I'm relishing the snow and the biting cold. For the most part, anyway - it really does drop below freezing, especially when you're on a mountain nearly 3000m up. Although the view pretty much makes up for it.


On the weekend I caught up with Phil in his new town for the first time since he left Nagano City. This was my third trip to Suwa. The first time, Justine and I witnessed a spectacular fireworks festival in thick, summer rain. The second time was for the insane Onbashira Festival. We rented bikes for the day and rode partway around the frozen lake, stopping at an erupting geyser, a castle, an outdoor foot hot spring, and of course for lunch. At first, we found this interesting-looking Italian restaraunt.


Sadly it wasn't open - in fact, it had closed down last November. I have no idea why, with a slogan like that...

So anyway, we ended up in the local bar/restaraunt next-door. The food was good, but honestly, how are you supposed to go about eating a burger that's this tall?


One of my favourite moments of the day was stumbling upon this sign in the grounds around Suwa Castle. It literally translates to: "Your pet is crying. What should you do with its poo?"

And people ask why I love Japan...

With just 8 weeks left until I leave this country, a lot is going through my mind - in particular, what I'm going to do next. On the way back to Australia I'm going to travel to a few countries in Southeast Asia with my good mate Kym. We haven't got anything confirmed yet, but we've got some really exciting ideas. Anyway, I hope you continue to follow where this journey called life takes me: 2011 is looking to be my biggest year yet.

11 comments:

  1. Ahahaha, I laughed so hard when I read that sign. Why would your pet be crying after it's just laid a giant turd? I would be happy!

    That burger is big...but only because it has a giant slab of tomato in it :P

    Sounds like your trip home is gonna be fun, hope you don't get raped by a ladyboy in Thailand though... actually if you do it'd be fun so its up to your discretion :D It'd be as funny as the time with the prostitute with TB ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike the pet is crying because it doesn't want its owner to leave the poo on the ground for some nice human to step in!!!!!!!!! It is crying because it says "I'm sorry I should have gone before we left home"

    Yes well even when it is 37 degrees here I like it better than "Japan's hottest Summer on record" and I am sure Kerry would agree with me...at least we eventually get a cool change and start warming up all over again. I didn't realsie how good a cool change was until I went to Japan and we never got one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I hope you rode on the swan ferry! I would be so disappointed if you didn't. That ride should be on everyone's list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael: The tomato was big, but the biggest problem was the lettuce. You would've hated it - I reckon we ate about half a lettuce each, all folded and squashed into a solid, inch-thick slab.

    And I'll get raped by whoever I want, thank you very much.

    Mum: Firstly, ignore the previous sentence. You didn't see anything. Secondly, I think we must also consider that the dog's tears may be tears of joy.

    David: I would've loved to! Wonderful tack and worth every penny I'm sure... But unfortunately they close during winter when most of the lake freezes over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lettuce >_< It's just water! Why would you want to eat it?! All you need are the 5 basic food groups: Katsudon, Ramen, Soba, Udon, Meiji...

    Tracey: Have you ever seen scout cry because he took a dump on your back lawn? I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't care so long as it's out :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes but Scout isn't a Japanese dog. He is an Aussie!!!!!!! AND he would shit anywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boxer's are German. Shitting any where is a given.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bread kicks rice's ass! question answered! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, Buono gonna shoot you. You must be prepared to die for that kind of pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taz: Haha. I reckon I have rice at least 4 or 5 times more often than bread. It's pretty awesome. :P

    Dale: Buono's now rotting in a jail cell somewhere... But the pizza is just that good.

    ReplyDelete