Above Kurobe Dam

So it's about time I gave an update. The suffocating summer heat has left, the "changing colours" season has begun, and right now my heater's on full blast because it's frickin' freezing outside, Mr Bigglesworth.* I've already spent some time in the mountains to see the vibrant autumnal golds, reds and browns that Japan is famous for. Most notably was my daytrip to Kurobe Dam a couple of weeks ago.

Even though it was a tad early for the autumn colours' best time, it was a treat to the eyes. Kurobe is Japan's biggest dam, and renowned as a beautiful location at any time of the year. It's a bit of an adventure, too. After a 2-hour bus ride from Nagano Station, my friend Noriko and I caught an electric trolley bus through this wet, dark tunnel to actually reach the dam itself, so bordered by mountains that this was the only accessible route from our direction.

After spending some time at the dam ("Is it a God dam?" Phil emailed me), we took a cable car up the mountain on the other side. This cable car goes up on about a 45 degree angle, ascending vertically about 400m in five minutes. Following that, we caught a ropeway to an altitude of 2,316m, where the autumn colours were so vibrant it looked like the mountain was on fire. On our way back, we stopped at the dam to take a ferry across the water for yet another stunning perspective on the beautiful area.

It was a pretty full day just at that, but someday I'd like to do the whole Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route. (Note: We came from the right-hand side.)



Halloween's just around the corner and we've got our work parties this Saturday, so you'll hear from me again then.

*Edit: Just looked out the window, and the mountaintops have been dusted with snow for the first time this season.

5 comments:

  1. "Ah the changing of the seasons" they all cry, "its so beautiful!" Yeah they forget to mention the cold and snow... I don't envy you one bit. Crap.. I'm gonna be there the coldest time of the year ><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotta admit, for the first time ever, I'm really looking forward to winter. Sliding around on those ski slopes sounds like a pretty fun way to spend my winter weekends. We'll have to go together at some point, if we get a chance in Nagano.

    As for down in Okinawa... it'll just be frickin' freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melbourne really is the best..28 forecast for today and its getting there...AND 17 and rain tomorrow....aahhh all in 24 hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are awesome!! Same camera?

    ReplyDelete