Return To Nagano --->

As I mentioned in my last post, I've had a few trips to my old home, Nagano City, recently.

The first was a kind of Open Day for my old school.  I was invited by my friend Reiko (now the boss) to help out a bit and catch up with some of my old students.  There were some great moments:

* Three high school girls who I taught when they were just kiddos did a debate over whether cram schools in Japan push students too hard.  Me and Makiko, who was my co-teacher when I taught them, were nearly in tears as we watched these girls express their own ideas in English.  It's not an exaggeration to say that Makiko and I taught them their ABCs and how to read.  We were so proud.

* Keito, a seven-year-old boy I once taught, came to the event just to see me.  He's now 14 years old and, between his broken voice and vastly improved English, he was almost like a different person.

* Rinta, who was in Keito's class, was once my most difficult student.  I remember teaching him on Saturdays and almost pulling my hair out because he was so naughty.  He became a great student before I stopped teaching him.  At the Open Day, he did a speech in English about his dream, as captain of his junior high school's basketball team, to take his team to the national championship.  He was so nervous, but it was a great speech and it highlighted just how much he has changed since I first taught him all those years ago.

* Two girls from a class I once referred to as my "superstar Thursday class" due to their incredible motivation came just to see me as well.  They're now in grade five, and they even showed me the little koala toys I once gave them after coming back from a trip to Australia.  They've kept them for the last five years.

* One of my youngest students when I left, a four-year-old boy named Kazuki, didn't remember me at first... but his mum sure did.  She told me that she had originally signed her son up for the school because her colleague, whose daughter I taught, had recommended me.  I was kind of shocked to hear that and didn't really know what to say, apart from giving her a big thank you and well wishes to her and Kazuki for the future.

Of course, I got to catch up with a bunch of my friends who still work at the school, as well as a bunch of other ex-students - some of whom are now nearly unrecognisable.  But it means a lot that they still remembered me.

Just three days later, I was back in and around Nagano!  A public holiday fell on a Wednesday, so some friends and I went on a day trip.  I'd been to all these locations before, so it was rather nostalgic.

First up was the snow monkey hot springs, Jigokudani!


This is the famous valley where the monkeys come into the hot springs to keep warm.


Then we went to the caves at Matsushiro, where the Emperor of Japan would have been moved to for safety if World War II had continued for just a few more days.


We were lucky with our timing too, since the annual Winter Olympic Commemoration Festival was on.  Towards the main temple, Zenkoji, the main road is closed off and filled with handmade lanterns from people all over Japan.  This was my fourth time to the festival.


Zenkoji itself is lit up with colours.



We had an amazing dinner of yakiniku (Japanese barbecue) near Tsukasa's parents house, including melt-in-your-mouth Wagyu beef.  It was as smooth as butter.

Before heading home, we dropped in on Tsukasa's parents, who were as warm and welcoming as ever, feeding us snacks and tea to go in our already-bursting bellies.  We shared good conversation and laughter, and didn't get back to Shimosuwa till after midnight.

Nagano City isn't my home anymore, but gees, sometimes it sure feels like it still is.

1 comments:

  1. Good to see you have updated. I was behind this time. Looking forward to visiting Nagano City again

    ReplyDelete