My Nose

I’m seated for lunch with the grade fives this week when one of them, Kouhei, comes up to me with his massive, mischievous grin.  His words are slow, as if he’s stating important facts about the world I need to understand.

“Your nose is big.”

This isn’t the first time a Japanese kid has informed me of this, and it won’t be the last.  The kids in this country are forever bemused by our “tall”, oddly-shaped Western noses.

“Hey,” I warn him, giving him a playful shove.

Kouhei’s just warming up.  He starts poking the bridge of my nose with his finger.  “And it’s hard!”

Japanese kids tend to have small noses that squish in when you press on them.  Like a cute button.

I give him a weak smile, thinking he’s done.  But Kouhei looms over me till our eyes meet again.  Then his grin widens as he delivers his final blow.

“It’s gross.”

I lunge forwards to grab him, but he darts away.  I can hear his cackling from the other side of the classroom.  No one knows what he’s laughing about, but that doesn’t bother him.

I sigh.  I guess my big, hard nose just doesn’t fit in here.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I agree. Unfortunately, my students here don't!

      Delete
  2. And WE all love your nose here too. Tess, Nana, Pops and Yvie XXXX

    TESS says: "Poor Mr Big Nose Cushion! Come back now, I demand you! Scushion!" XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - my nose appreciates all the support.

      To Tess: I'm afraid my big hard nose may not make for the most comforting cushion. :P However, I do hope to come and visit you soon!

      Delete
  3. In the mummy room of the Urumqi Museum the employee showing us round was trying to tell us that the 2000(ish) year old 'Lulan Beauty' did not have a Chinese appearance. 'See, madam,' she said to my wife, 'she has a big nose like yours.' There was a riposte available, but we were too polite to use it.

    ReplyDelete